RISE: Empowerment Program engages girls, trans and non-binary youth in weekly program to support them to build self-confidence, create social connections, and develop critical thinking skills. Activities include team building, indoor and outdoor physical activity, preparing and sharing healthy snacks, media literacy skills building, arts activism and special events.
This free program is open to all girls, trans and non-binary youth ages 9-13.
This program offers:
- Weekly group providing ongoing space to have fun, be active and creative and connect with others
- Opportunities to make new friends and develop positive relationships
- Opportunities to explore issues such as building self-esteem, understanding media, creating arts and media, rights and feminism, positive body image development, what safety means to us
- opportunities to connect with positive role models
- support and resources from RISE Staff
- special events and trips including nature experiences
- IF youth are able to access safe/r space to freely be themselves, make friends, gain skills, develop their voices and take the lead to create change;
- THEN they will enter high school with an increased social-safety net and community connections, with a the confidence to speak up and with the critical thinking skills required to navigate the complexity of issues and pressures that put teen girls, trans and non-binary youth at risk in their high school years.
Our goals are:
- to create inclusive and diversity-positive space
- to provide opportunities for participants to develop critical-thinking-skills through media awareness and education
- to support youth to develop their voices through media creation, art and activism
- to provide youth with a range of diverse role models of all genders
- to build peer support networks and enhance connections between women, girls, trans and non-binary people in our community
- to support youth capacity to make healthy and safe choices
Caitlin & Anna
Our program is funded through the Canadian Women’s Foundation who support girls in Canada to move into confidence by funding dynamic programs that engage their body, mind, and spirit. Visit their website at canadianwomen.org for more information.