Status of Women Canada states that “Everyone has the right to live free from violence. However, many Canadians across the country continue to face violence every day because of their gender, gender expression, gender identity or perceived gender. This is referred to as gender-based violence (GBV), and is a violation of human rights.”
SASI is a grassroot feminist response to gender-based violence, through advocacy, support, referrals and community. Our team works in collaboration with community members to nurture cultures of consent, community care, safer/braver spaces, and transformation.
- Information, Referral and Advocacy Support: staff are available to listen to community members who need to talk or are looking to access supports. Our team provides information and contacts for various programs and services through Renfrew County and beyond. Advocacy support is available to community members who would like support accessing services.
- Going Bananas?! Virtual Check In: provides virtual space for women, trans and non-binary people, and allies to talk and connect with each other supporting mental health including the negative effects of isolation during the pandemic. Video and phone in options are available.
- Walk & Talk: Community walking group meets weekly at the Pebble mosaic created through the Countdown Public Art Project (a province-wide initiative that creates outdoor monuments in public spaces to honour survivors of gender based violence and to imagine, or count down to, a world without gender-based violence.) (This group is currently suspended due to the pandemic restrictions. January 2021)
- SASI Cupboard: provides practical supplies to community members including period products, pregnancy tests, toothbrushes, floss, toothpaste, and other helpful items.
- SASI Fund: A microloan program to provide interest free loans to people impacted by gender-based violence in support of self-determinism, building financial stability and establishing safety.
Connect with our team:
Caitlin MacDonald: firstname.lastname@example.org
Anna MacDonald: email@example.com
Funded by Women and Gender Equality Canada (WAGE) and the Government of Canada.